2010-03-26

The big questions of life

In not so many words, the only way that essence can manifest in this world is through the personality. One might think then, OK that's why I have to try and make my personality/character better, uproot the evils therein, promote the bright sides etc. Sorry to spoil it for you*, but this is barely how it works. This way of thinking only adds to the confusion. It is the essence manifesting (and fully embraced when it does) that will do the job, not you. I can of my own self do nothing, as written in the Bible (John 5:30). Personality cannot change itself; it is the essence that changes it.** We know that essence changes the personality, when inspiration shines forth and memory is at one with the moment, creating small marvelous eternities, as ersi wrote in a comment the other day.

In plain words: trying to control things is essentially not trusting that God can do it. It has underlying it the false belief that without you, God or the universe won't make it, which is self-flattering and egotistical.

This essentially leaves us with only one thing to do: leap empty-handed into the void of the unknown, in full trust or, rephrasing it, allow our heart to break. The bulk of the drama we experience in everyday life comes from our constant effort and agony to stop our heart from breaking. But it is just a habit; nothing more. Can we allow this habit to rest? Can we rely on radical trust instead? These are the big questions of life.


* Surprisingly when you come to think about it, most people (myself not excluded) find consolation, some even a sense of “personal mission” in taking up the role of the martyr or the victim or … or …
* In other words: don't try to change yourself. Simply, gently, let it be. The only thing that the self wants is to be accepted as it is. This creates peace inside. Psychological mechanisms (defense mechanisms in their most part) are put in motion when we try to change ourselves. The effort for the targeted change then occupies all the space within, leaving nothing for the essence to manifest. I know it sounds unorthodox, even paradoxical. But that's how it is. And after the how, the what. Do you know what it is? It is pure LOVE. So, this is the meaning of "to love myself" (= not trying to change myself).

6 comments:

ersi said...

C: "This essentially leaves us with only one thing to do: leap empty-handed into the void of the unknown, in full trust"

There are two illustrations of it in the book I am reading:

1. It is the Ocean of Immortality. By plunging into it a man does not die; he becomes immortal. Man does not lose his consciousness by being mad about God [who is Consciousness].

2. Once a salt doll went to measure the depth of the ocean. No sooner did it get into the water than it melted. Now, who was there to report the ocean's depth?

It appears selfish indeed to think of ourselves as something more than salt dolls. Or earthworms. About selfishness on the way, there are also these allegories:

1. The bee will not light on anything but a flower. It will not drink anything but honey. But a devotee leading the worldly life is like a fly. The fly sits on a festering sore as well as on a sweetmeat.

2. Once an ant went to a hill of sugar. One grain filled its stomach. Taking another grain in its mouth it started homeward. On its way it thought, 'Next time I shall carry home the whole hill.' That is the way shallow minds think.

C: "or, rephrasing it, allow our heart to break"

Or, rephrasing it, open our hearts and minds. Inasmuch as they are opened, they must be directed to the single true source, to receive fully from it, and only it, to become one with it. It is the same process of plunging, but from the other point of view.

Well, doing it is quite another matter. The answers are as big as the questions. The ant can't carry the hill of sugar, but this is the best idea its mind can conceive of.

Christina Linardaki said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christina Linardaki said...

My dearest E.,

About two years ago, I came across the trilogy of Florian Tathagata by pure chance. These books made such a striking impression on me that I haven't felt anything close to it for many years. I automatically tried to process them mentally, understand them with my mind. I tried to combine them with my own conclusions about personality and essence, God, the psyche and everyday life.

After two years of effort - quite recently that is - I decided I had to quit; I couldn't do it on my own, I couldn't find the answers - let alone BE space. Thus, I e-mailed Florian Tathagata with a torrent of questions.

And then it happened.

The moment I entrusted to him my questions, the moment I gave up on them was the moment that space was created inside me and the essence flooded in. In an overflow of inspiration, the answers to all my questions were revealed so naturally, that it was as if I always knew them.

I e-mailed the man again, this time telling him that I had the answers and describing the process I had gone through. He was very kind to write back, even though he must be receiving hundreds of e-mails from around the world. He didn't provide verification or anything of the sort. He provided answers from another level.

The answers to my original questions are summed up in my last four posts. But do you know what? I gave them up too. They don't matter. They are not important. Understanding itself is not important. Becoming, feeling and exploring how to be awareness, how to be the all-embracing space - this is important. Understanding can come later.

Right now I am dazzled and overwhelmed. I had the experience - for real - and I have let it go. By letting it go, I now have it constantly, fresh, ever fresh - just like Life, just like Awareness.

I have to thank you about it, at least in part. The responsibility I feel as far as you are concerned, was the fire that ignited all this. You said once that you wanted to be of help to me somehow. Well, you did. Actually, you have done it twice. Heartfully, honestly, thank you.

Everything else, ants, bees, flies are mind games. You and I have always been interested in the mechanics, in the how of things, in the why, in all sorts of questions. Well, it's time to let them go. Just feel It. Be It. This very moment, not any other, not some time in the future or later, this very moment, now, holds all the perfection there is. Open up to it unconditionally. Understanding can come later.

Namaste
C.

ersi said...

You work miracles. My sincere gratitude. A smiley from me to you :)

opit said...

Beautiful. What I - for myself - attributed to biofeedback from choosing a constant self-confirmation prayer lights on you like a butterfly.
There is more than one way to 'know' something.

Christina Linardaki said...

opit: "There is more than one way to 'know' something".

I would say endless, my friend.:)